A very Happy New Year folks! Hope you had a blast the last few weeks of 2015 and are excited about 2016. I had hectic holidays visiting friends, a trip to New York City, and a whole lotta partying and food. A good time was had by all and so we can start the new year with a clean slate and cleaner eating habits. Like most people I have promised myself to eat better this month and give my stomach some much needed rest from all the greasy food over the last few months. This kale spaghetti is perfect for a meatless monday dinner and takes under 30mins to prepare.
This recipe is simple with a focus on ingredients and makes for a very satisfying meal. Kale adds the nutritional element to the dish and the lemon, garlic and breadcrumbs give it a flavour punch that makes it super delicious. I sometimes use whole wheat spaghetti in place of regular to make it a healthier meal. Use whatever pasta you prefer. It’s a quick weeknight meal and does not require much fussing over.
Pastas are my favorite comfort food especially on cold winter nights. There is nothing more warming than a steaming bowl of fresh pasta with simple flavours. This recipe ticks all the boxes and is simple with everyday pantry ingredients. The breadcrumbs are lightly toasted with lemon rind and seasoned with herbs to get a fragrant mix. The kale and garlic are sauteed with crushed chili pepper flakes and then mixed in with the spaghetti. The olive oil and pasta water emulsify to form a light sauce that coats the spaghetti. Top it off with some toasted breadcrumbs, parmesan and fresh parsley, and you have dinner on your hands. Now all you need to do is make yourself comfortable and dig in.
Kale, Lemon, Garlic Spaghetti with Breadcrumbs
- 200-250gm dried Spaghetti (regular or whole wheat)
- 1 bunch Kale washed and leaves torn roughly into small pieces (discard the stem)
- 5-7 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 lemon (grate the rind to get the zest and juice the lemon)
- 1 tsp crushed Chili Peppers
- 1/3 cup Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- Few sprigs of fresh parsley leaves chopped
- Parmesan Cheese to grate on top of pasta
- 3-4tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the pasta as per the package instructions. Drain and reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water when the pasta is cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the lemon zest to it. Toss until fragrant and then add breadcrumbs to it. Toast until the breadcrumbs are golden in color. Remove from the heat and set aside. Let it cool a bit and then mix the chopped parsley into the breadcrumb mix.
- In the same pan heat the remaining olive oil and add the minced garlic. Let it sizzle for a bit until fragrant (1-2mins) and then add the washed and chopped kale to the pan. Sautee the kale in the pan until it is mixed well with the garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and cook for additional 4-5mins until the kale turns bright green in color and is cooked. Uncover and add the chili flakes to the kale mix and saute for a few minutes more. Add some reserved pasta water to the mix to loosen it up into a sauce. Turn up the heat and cook for further minute or two. Add the lemon juice to the sauce.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the pan and mix well to coat. Distribute evenly into two warmed pasta bowls. Top the pasta generously with the breadcrumb mix. Finish off with some grated parmesan and serve immediately.
- Enjoy with a glass of crisp white wine and your favorite Netflix series 😉